[wplug] firewalls?

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 09:14:54 EST 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:56:11 -0500, Zachary Uram <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:19:11 -0500, Chris Romano <romano.chris at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > How do they work ... Well, it depends on the firewall.  They can block
> > by IP, Port, Application or a combination of the three.  I use a
> > netgear firewall/router.  It has a built in 4-port switch.  Here it
> > is: http://tinyurl.com/6q3ek
> >
> > Linksys, SMC, D-Link, etc.  They all have one and they all pretty much
> > work well.  One might have a little different feature set.
> >
> > You can use one of these for you LAN then have iptables (software fw)
> > running locally on your laptop.
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> So since you have this hardware firewall/router you don't need to run
> a software firewall locally? How do I setup a DMZ?

No, I don't /have/ to run a software policy locally.  It doesn't mean
that I can't or shouldn't though.  As far as a DMZ goes, these cheap
boxes aren't really setup to have a DMZ setup.  What you can do is the
following, oh, this is for a broadband setup. I know that you use
dail-up but with dail-up your best bet is software firewall.

M = Broadband modem
S = Switch
D = DMZ
F = Firewall (hardware)