[wplug] firewalls?

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Tue Jan 25 16:49:46 EST 2005

Dear Zach,

I think the other replies have already answered the question about the
differences.  The fact that you are using a laptop and dial-up, it
kind of limits your choices.  Since you are using dial-up, you can not
use the firewall/routers you can pick up at a local computer shop.

In your case, I think a software firewall will be the best choice since
you are using a laptop. If it was a desktop system, then I personally
would suggest a hardware version.  The benefit of a software firewall on
a laptop is that you will be taking your firewall with you where ever
you go with the laptop (and therefore always be protected even on
someone else's network). If you had a hardware firewall, it would only
be working for you when you are at home.

I would suggest checking out "Guarddog" (it is in the Debian
Repository). Guarddog is a KDE front-end to easily configure your
software firewall.  You do not need to be using KDE to use Guarddog. If
you are not, apt-get will install all then necessary KDE libraries.
Maybe someone else out there could suggest something that does not
require KDE libraries.

Kevin