[wplug] firewalls?

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 25 16:12:28 EST 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:45:56 -0500
Zachary Uram <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the difference between a software and hardware firewall?
> I mean how does a hardware firewall work? Does it just block certain ports?
> I want a good firewall. Running Debian Linux (unstable) on my laptop
> which has dialup access to the net.

Really depends.  A ``firewall'' will, or should have the ability
to block all ports if the administrator so desires.  The difference
between a ``software'' firewall and ``hardware'' file is very
subtle.

I've always considered a software firewall to be a software solution
which runs on top of an operating system, for example Norten.

I've always considered a hardware firewall to be a machine, device,
whatever which is dedicated to the task at hand, running the
firewall in this case, and nothing else.

--
Tom Rhodes