[wplug] documenting network layout

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 24 03:15:10 EST 2005

On Friday 21 January 2005 17:57, Michael P. O Connor wrote:
> Question, what should be documented when documenting a network.  My
> pastor and I have batting the idea around about documeting the
> network lay out we have and some basic Linux commands.  He and I are
> the only ones in the church that know the mess that is our network.
> So what should we put down into writing for the network.

The more the better.

+ Physical layout of the network (how are machines connected with each
other, switches, cables, routers, modems etc) -
http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/ is quite handy for that.
+ Addresses used by each machine.
+ Roles of each machine (host X is backup server, host Y is the firewall
etc)
+ Role-critical scripts or configuration files should also be saved in
the documentation (e.g. the firewall script of the firewall, the backup
scripts of the backup server, the /etc/smb.conf of the samba server
etc)

-A