[wplug] Simple email retreival with spamassassin and ClamAV

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Fri Jan 21 00:57:11 EST 2005

Dear List,

I currently have a simple setup, using a system wide fetchmail config
that downloads email from 2 POP accounts then sends them trough
spamassassin and puts them in /var/mail/$USER.  This works great for me,
since Sylpheed and Mutt both use the mbox fomat.  But I did not realize
that it would not work for for my wife, since she uses Thunderbird.

What I would like to do is download the mail from both accounts, run
them through spamassassin and ClamAV (which I do now within sylpheed,
but want to change that) and then drop everything from account 1 into
/var/mail/kevin and then drop everything from account 2 into both
/var/mail/kevin and /home/val/Mail/Inbox/  I will continue to use the
two accounts SMTP servers for sending mail.

I think that I need to add procmail into the mix, but not sure.  Been
doing some Googling, but everything I find seems to be to be for either
individual users (and I need this to be invisible to my wife), or for
big multi-user systems that (to me atleast) seem to be a bit overkill.

Is anyone doing something similar? Maybe point me to a good HOWTO or can
give me some kind of outline/guideance to their own setup?