[wplug] cheap DSL in Pittsburgh?

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Thu Jan 20 17:25:06 EST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Innumerable WPLUGgers wrote something like:

> I pay $48.95/month for Telerama DSL, and I'm pretty happy with it.  That's
> for 768k down/128k up.

I suppose I'll put in my plug for Penn Telecom (my specific broadband
provider is, I think, Nauticom, but the bill comes from penn tele).

I pay $60/month (well, it comes out to about $73 after taxes et.al) for
512k sDSL with a static IP and intelligent tech support, and local phone
service included.  I did have some startup costs, but I dropped them down
to the cost of the router for signing a 2-year contract (which is up in
June).  I read someone on here say they got 512k up / 3mb down for about
$50 a month from Nauticom, so I guess I might try to jump to that, but
I've been happy.

FWIW a friend of mine has Verizon DSL (you know, the 1.5mb/128k) and at
times has gotten IP address changes many (>10) times a day.  We complained
and they sent us a new router, but the problem went away before I
installed it.  It is still 1-2 times a day, though.  Probably it's
location specific, but it would make dynamic DNS a crapshoot.

Politically, I could never pay comcast any money.  I think they're an evil
monopoly and they're trying to get content as well as distribution, which
to me is a scary concept for the health of the Internet.

http://www.democraticmedia.org/news/ComcastDisney.html
http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1076519402.html
http://www.leanleft.com/archives/002396.html

Those links are ~1 year old so the situation might have gone away, but I'm
still wary.

-Brandon