[wplug] cheap DSL in Pittsburgh?

Zachary Uram netrek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 15:40:02 EST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:22:49 -0500 (EST), Drew from Zhrodague
<drew at zhrodague.net> wrote:
>        Right, but fiber near != fiber installed. Level3 has a colo here
> in the South Side, but that doesn't mean I get any of that -- and I'm four
> blocks away!

That is insanity! Why won't they offer it to us poor bums who can't
afford mansions in Cranberry?

>        Of course, but this discussion is here because people are no
> longer satisfied with the 9600bps, 14.4kbps, or even (sub)56Kbps modems.
> People are not satisfied with their 300-400-500-600Kbps DSL either, and
> that makes me mad -- mad that Verizon pretends to be the only game in
> town, and madder still that PEOPLE BELIEVE THAT.

My sole net access, away from work, is 49Kbps modem :-(
My laptop has a wi-fi card - shame I can't put it to use!

>        I actually had to leave Pittsburgh for several years because there
> was not enough bandwidth for me!

I read in Korea their wireless coverage is amazing. Every major city
has total coverage and you can get FULL 5MB SDSL for equivalent of $30
USD/month!
Japan also has some sweet DSL but a bit pricier. People here are lied
to and given a false dichotomy regarding choice. We need more
competition and awareness by consumers.

>        There are options, and where there aren't options, there are still
> options. I am appaled at how few people are interested in wirless
> networking here in this City, even as a analog-dialup replacement. Drives
> me nuts!

I am interested! ;-)

Zach