[wplug] cheap DSL in Pittsburgh?

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Thu Jan 20 15:22:49 EST 2005

> > 	That won't be offered here. Pittsburgh does not have the density
> > or the cashflow for them to even bother with laying new fiber to each and
> > every home.
> >

> Maybe not in Pittsburgh, but Cranberry definitely has some fiber loops
> close to a lot of residential area.

	Right, but fiber near != fiber installed. Level3 has a colo here
in the South Side, but that doesn't mean I get any of that -- and I'm four
blocks away!

> > 	This is why I got interested in wireless networking way back when.
> > Prolly the cheapest possible way to deploy the most ammount of bandwidth.
>
> I'll agree with that, especially these days.  But this isn't an option
> for a lot of folks, unfortunately.  At least none that I know
> personally.

	Of course, but this discussion is here because people are no
longer satisfied with the 9600bps, 14.4kbps, or even (sub)56Kbps modems.
People are not satisfied with their 300-400-500-600Kbps DSL either, and
that makes me mad -- mad that Verizon pretends to be the only game in
town, and madder still that PEOPLE BELIEVE THAT.

	I actually had to leave Pittsburgh for several years because there
was not enough bandwidth for me!

	There are options, and where there aren't options, there are still
options. I am appaled at how few people are interested in wirless
networking here in this City, even as a analog-dialup replacement. Drives
me nuts!

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		Location Based WiFi