[wplug] MySQL Root Password Craziness with MediaWiki

Shane Liesegang shane at techie.net
Thu Jan 20 14:51:33 EST 2005

Hello wplug.

I have a Fedora Core 2 server that has lately become a sort of wiki
repository for my organization. We're using the MediaWiki PHP/MySQL
solution that I've deployed elsewhere without incident.

I've had a problem with MySQL, though, that I've managed to trace back to
the creation of a new wiki. Essentially, after a new wiki is configured
(which takes the MySQL root password to make new users), MySQL no longer
allows root login, even with the correct password.

A restart of MySQL solves the problem, but it's something that I'd like to
avoid if I can. Obviously the problem is somewhere in MediaWiki, but I
don't even really know what to look for in the code. Are there any MySQL
gurus who have seen the root password start acting weird like that?

Thanks for the help.