[wplug] Debian reboot hangs after "Deconfiguring network interfaces"

Eric C. Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Thu Jan 20 13:27:07 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 12:31:53PM -0500, John Harrold wrote:
> I've got a bunch of systems here running Debian/Sarge. Everything works
> fine until I try to reboot one of the machines. I do this by typing reboot
> as root or selecting the reboot option from gdm. The machine begins to
> shutdown services, but when it finishes deconfiguring the network
> interfaces it just hangs there. I let it sit for a few minutes and it still
> hangs there.
>
> Can anyone help me determine what is causing this?

The networking script in /etc/init.d does "ifdown -a" right after
printing that message, so it may be hanging trying to bring down some
network interface.  Do you have anything unusual in your
/etc/network/interfaces setup?

Try adding a "-v" argument to the "ifdown -a" command (line 85 in my
version), and run the reboot command from the console, so you can see
all the output.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u