[wplug] cheap DSL in Pittsburgh?

Gary Morrow gary.morrow at ansys.com
Thu Jan 20 12:24:36 EST 2005

Crist, Doug wrote:
> Is there some reason you need DSL rather than cable?
> I'm paying $46.16/month with Comcast, but I'm not sure they're in the South Hills.  I think a couple of bucks of that is for the modem rental.
> The speed is usually about 2000k down and about 200k up.
>
> Doug

Another option is to go in with some of your neighbors and setup a local
wireless network.  Although this probably violates the contract for most
residential service, at least one provider (speakeasy) supports it and
they will even bill your neighbors directly.

http://www.speakeasy.net/netshare/learnmore/

The other alternative to stay legal, presuming you care, is to get
business service.  You become essentially an ISP.

No, I'm not doing this yet, but I'm trying to talk people (neighbors,
wife) into it.

Gary

--
Gary Morrow
UNIX Systems Engineering and CASE Tools.
gary.morrow at ansys.com
Phone: 724-514-2978
Fax: 724.514.3117
material from any computer.