[wplug] cheap DSL in Pittsburgh?

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 12:01:02 EST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:11:20 -0500, Carl Benedict
<cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 10:07, Zachary Uram wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 07:01:37 -0800 (PST), Jason Jerome
> > <jjerome2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I believe I pay $29.99/month for my DSL through Verizon
> >
> > Wow that sounds good. What is your up/down rates? How is the service quality?
> > Do they give you a static routable ip?
> >
> > Zach
>
> IMHO, companies like Verizon will always be able to offer the most
> bandwidth for your buck because they are an ILEC.  Other smaller
> Internet providers will have to buy their backbone from Verizon or
> someone who is their competition.
>
> I live in the North Hills and I have Nauticom.  At 3mb down and 512Kb
> out, it costs something like $40/month.  It's not too bad.  In the last
> few months, I heard the Verizon will be offering fiber to the home
> service at 30Mb down 3Mb up for around $50.  I don't know if that is
> true (I can't get Verizon here), but if it is, sign me up! :D

I heard that they are SUPPOSE to start offering this in the 6 months.
I believe that they are starting in Peters Township which is in Wash.
Co near the S. Hills area.  I know that verzion is hiring a lot of
Temp (~2yr) positions for laying fiber.  This is all from the
grapevine so I can't validate it.

Chris