[wplug] cheap DSL in Pittsburgh?

Carl Benedict cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com
Thu Jan 20 11:51:23 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 11:21, Zachary Uram wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:11:20 -0500, Carl Benedict > IMHO, companies
> like Verizon will always be able to offer the most
> > bandwidth for your buck because they are an ILEC.  Other smaller
> > Internet providers will have to buy their backbone from Verizon or
> > someone who is their competition.
>
> Hi Carl,
>
> What is an ILEC?
>
> > I live in the North Hills and I have Nauticom.  At 3mb down and 512Kb
> > out, it costs something like $40/month.  It's not too bad.  In the last
> > few months, I heard the Verizon will be offering fiber to the home
> > service at 30Mb down 3Mb up for around $50.  I don't know if that is
> > true (I can't get Verizon here), but if it is, sign me up! :D
>
> That is fiber optic connection? Wow!
>
> Zach

ILEC == Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier[1]

as opposed to

CLEC == Competitive Local Exchange Carrier[2]

See:

[1] http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/ILEC.html

[2] http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/CLEC.html

But essentially, an ILEC is at the top of the telecom food chain.

--
Carl Benedict
Pittsburgh Techs
cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com