[wplug] cheap DSL in Pittsburgh?

Brent M. Rust rust at lucasware.com
Thu Jan 20 11:25:50 EST 2005

Verizon uses the Audiovox PC 5220 PCMCIA wireless card for the broadband
connections http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller I think
the card is $200.00 and they have a 150.00 rebate right now.

It is $79.99 a month unlimited.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=planFirst&actio
n=viewInternetPlanOverview

I don't work for verizon! But I love the idea of "anywhere antime"
It is in the larger metro areas of the US
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadband/index.jsp

*******************************

PulseNet uses point to point wireless, 2.4 GHz antennas about 11x11
inches on your roof pointing to one of their three towers in the Penn
Hills/Fox Chapel/North Hills areas (sorry if my geography is bad, I am
from Washington County, LOL). You really need to call them to see if you
can get coverage, you can try their office 724-225-5200 or I can get the
area sales phone number for you. I did work for PulseNet but do not
anymore (I do however have their service still). Their residential
service is around $50.00 a month (with a $100.00 setup fee) no equipment
to buy unless you want a router from them, and no phone line or cable
subscription is required (remember it's WIRELESS).
Speeds are around 800 down, I think, I don't remember what the up speed
is. But you can ask for different speed combos. Like 300 down, 800 up,
800 down, 300 up, 400/400 etc. Try that with your cable or DSL! IT WON"T
HAPPEN!!!
Again, I don't remember the actual up/down speeds.
The IP I believe is dynamic, but I don't think it changes unless you
have to reboot the radio (it's not a router). The radio then connects to
the router, then to your network.

NOW, PulseNet is a regional local company, and they are a small company.
They aren't as large as Telerama or PennTelecom and other local
companies. But they have accounts for businesses both small, and medium
as well as residential. Like any company, the money is in businesses.
But I am happy with them. We have DriecTV since there isn't any cable in
my town, and DSL was just offered eabout a year ago, but if you have
long distance with anyone other than Verizon, they will not qualify your
phone line. We have MCI, and Ver says we cannot get DSL, even though
both of our neighbors have it. Go figure.

Brent