[wplug] On the subject of FTP...

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Wed Jan 19 19:20:48 EST 2005

I just configured an anonymous FTP server on my box here, and placed it on
the nonstandard port of 10021.  By default (and as desired) it uses ports
49152-65535 for negotiating passive FTP sessions, and so I have opened my
firewall to incoming packets from those ports.

Everything works fine, though on windows machines, for uploading, I have
to use IE (or a dedicated FTP client program) since Mozilla Firefox
doesn't support FTP uploads.  The problem is that Windows FTP clients
(both IE and command-line FTP.EXE) fail when the client computer is behind
a firewall.  Mozilla Firefox does not fail on the self-same computer in
the same situation.  But again, it doesn't upload.

I get the sense that this is an M$ problem and this may be the wrong forum
to discuss it... but Windows users not being able to use their native FTP
clients really hinders the server's usefulness (the only two times I've
had a chance to use it were both hindered by the fact that the client
users couldn't connect).  I would thus like to fix this problem... is
there *anything* I can do from my end?  Web searching has produced a few
pages that hint at the existence of the problem, but I haven't found any
'smoking gun' page stating "Windows FTP clients are BROKEN!"

'Proof', based on the "Google Boolean Evaluation principle [1]":

  /-------------------------------------------------------------------
  | Your search - "Windows FTP clients are broken" - did not match any
  | documents.
  |
  | Suggestions:
  |
  |   - Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
  |   - Try different keywords.
  |   - Try more general keywords.
  |
  | Also, you can try Google Answers for expert help with your search.

-Brandon

[1] see http://301south.net/works/thoughts/gbep.html (if you really want
to know)
What's curious is that, once this email is archived, "Windows FTP clients
are BROKEN" will return a positive result on a google search....