[wplug] Starting and Stopping X More Gracefully

Brad Hoover b_hoovs at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 12:37:48 EST 2005

Hello Folks,

I have been trying to iron out problems with x
windows.  I would like to get 1024x768 (which I know
both my monitor and video card can do), but right now
I can only get 800x600, when I delete the 1024x768
option from xorg.conf.

I am using fedora core 3, which by default starts x
during bootup.  So when I make changes to xorg.conf
and add 1024x768 as an ok screen resolution it tries
to display it at that setting and when it fails my
monitor just goes on standby.  I then have to
ctrl-alt-del and boot from a rescue disk or in single
user mode to make another tweak it and try again.

So my question is this:  Can I make X fail a bit more
gracefully?  Can I make a change to the config file
and then if it fails it gives me a command prompt
instead of my monitor going on standby and forcing me
to reboot?  Then can I stop and start x again without
rebooting?  This would make it a heck of a lot easier
and faster than my current method.

Thanks very much,

Brad