[wplug] autofs + nis under debian (resolved)

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Wed Jan 12 10:56:27 EST 2005

Sometime in August John Harrold assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I was poking around in the manpage for auto.master and decided to specify
| that the map was being pushed by nis by using:
|
| /home                   yp:auto.home  --timeout=60
|
| instead of
|
| /home                     auto.home  --timeout=60
|
| Which seems to do the trick, though it should have been doing that by
| default according to the man page.

I know this thread is old, but since I found something new I thought I
should make an addendum. I was having a problem where the auto.master file
would not be recognized on the nis clients. If I created an auto.master
file on the nis client the other automount files (e.g. auto.home) would
be read properly from the nisserver. My /etc/nsswitch.conf file had the
following:

autofs:         nis files

When I added the following line:

automount:      nis

autofs started reading the auto.master file from the nis server. I'm sure
there is a good reason for this, but I'm not sure what that reason is.
However, I'm just glad to figure it out.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E