[wplug] My Debian died

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Tue Jan 11 19:12:08 EST 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Brian Sammon wrote:

>> Second, did something crazy just happen recently with the Debian packages?
>> Out of the blue, my xmms just stopped working, telling me that it can't
>> find libmikmod.so.2 --I've never had this problem before, but I go to
>
> This libmikmod message is probably a red herring.  On my computers I use xmms
> successfully without having libmikmod installed, and I get the message
> complaining about libmikmod every time I start it (from within an xterm).

Yeah, it's the only program I've ever used for mp3 playback in Linux
(either from command line or otherwise).  The error message took me by
surprise and I'm willing to believe it's inaccurate.  But...

> What version of xmms do you have installed?
> How are you trying to use xmms?  (i.e.  clicking on icon, running from command
> line, using such-and-such command-line options)
> Can you give us more details on how it fails?  Does it put up a window?  Does
> it crash?  (and what do you mean by crash?)
>
> I've noticed in the past that xmms does not give good diagnostic errors.  When
> something is wrong, it does not tell you in a way that is understandable.
> Have you verified that other audio programs still work?

Other programs still work.  The thing is, upgrading *anything* via apt-get
tells me I need 404 MB of archives.  This is starting to sound like a
remote issue...

Doh!  Debian 3.0 was released on 1 January 2005.  I am going to look into
reconfiguring my apt-get conf files.

-Brandon