[wplug] My Debian died

Brian Sammon wplug-list at brisammon.fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 10 23:45:38 EST 2005

> Second, did something crazy just happen recently with the Debian packages?
> Out of the blue, my xmms just stopped working, telling me that it can't
> find libmikmod.so.2 --I've never had this problem before, but I go to

This libmikmod message is probably a red herring.  On my computers I use xmms
successfully without having libmikmod installed, and I get the message
complaining about libmikmod every time I start it (from within an xterm).

What version of xmms do you have installed?
How are you trying to use xmms?  (i.e.  clicking on icon, running from command
line, using such-and-such command-line options)
Can you give us more details on how it fails?  Does it put up a window?  Does
it crash?  (and what do you mean by crash?)

I've noticed in the past that xmms does not give good diagnostic errors.  When
something is wrong, it does not tell you in a way that is understandable.
Have you verified that other audio programs still work?

Another thing to try is removing every trace of xmms by "dpkg --purge xmms" and
"rm -rf ~/.xmms/" (or move the directory somewhere else) and then reinstalling
xmms.