[wplug] My Debian died

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 10 21:44:55 EST 2005

Brandon,

No real help on the first problem on what to do with your "apt-get
install disaster" problem, but if you're looking for a debian distro
that is still debian to the core, but with software that is a bit more
up to date, I would recommend Ubuntu.  It's funded by Mark Shuttleworth
(founder of Thawte and a cosmonaut) and employs a lot of the bigtime
debian hackers.  All changes are propagated back to debian.  When it's
time for a new release, a snapshot is taken of debian and the project
goes from there, adding in patches, updating software, etc.

I've been running it on my laptop and my MythTV box for the past few
months with some really great success.  The niceties of debian, with
Gnome 2.6 and scads of up to date software.  Plus, if you visit their
site, they'll mail you some CDs for free.

--Patrick

PS. I ran into the same problem with debian a few years ago.  I decided
I need to strike a balance between bleeding edge and stability.  I went
back to Red Hat/Fedora for a few year in the interlude before switching
to Ubuntu in September.