[wplug] DVD compatibility

Carl Benedict cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com
Fri Jan 7 23:29:26 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 14:32, Bill Moran wrote:
> Anyone out there have any experience burning DVD that are compatible with
> DVD readers?
>
> We recently purchased a LiteOn DVD burner, and a stack of blank DVD-R.
> After about a month of using it, we came to realize that the only device
> that can read _any_ of the burned DVDs is the burner that made them, of
> two other DVD readers, neither can read the DVDs.  Both of these readers
> are able to grok standard pressed DVDs without problem.
>
> We've tried the following:
> 1) Bought more DVD-Rs.  This time, name brand ones.  Same problem.
> 2) Tried creating an ISO image under FreeBSD and burning that (as
>    opposed to letting Nero create everything).  Same problem.
> 3) Updated the firmware, no change.
> 4) Twiddled around with the infinite settings under Nero in an attempt
>    to make DVDs compatible.  Nothing helped.
>
> Any suggestions?  This is pretty frustrating.

What speed were you burning at?  Perhaps burning at a slower speed may
remedy this?   I have an 4x DVD-R / 8x DVD+R burner that I use for data
backups.  I have only used DVD-R thus far, so I'm only burning at 4x.
The CDs seem to work in other DVD drives (a dell laptop DVD reader and
another internal IDE DVD drive in my PC).  Those are the only drives
I've tested the discs in, though.  I've also only burned DVDs under
Linux using growisofs and creating the ISOs under X-CD-Roast. Most newer
drives support both +R and -R formats.

HTH

Carl

--