[wplug] bug, cosmic ray or security breach?

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 5 11:37:39 EST 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:13:00 +0200
Alexandros Papadopoulos <apapadop at alumni.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I'm facing a weird situation with one of my (Debian) servers.
> After a power outage and the necessary reboot, some important
> system binaries started to segfault. These include /bin/grep, /bin/tar,
> /usr/bin/find and /usr/bin/perl.

[SNIP]

In the future, may I also suggest the following websites (or
google searches):

tripwire
aide
rkhunter

While it definitely seems like corrupt files; indeed, I just
recently got stuck with a similar corrupt binary situation,
those utilities will help keep the mind boggle down.  :)

--
Tom Rhodes