[wplug] queuing mail to be sent..

Scott F. Kiesling kiesling at pitt.edu
Sun Jan 2 16:41:01 EST 2005

I ve a setup like this. I have a laptop and use
mutt+postfix. Always, even at work, I use fetchmail to
get the mail from server and the smtpd in postfix sends it
out.

When at home, I send email as usual. If offline, it queues.
When online, I just run 'postfix flush' and the queue is
sent out. One could also put this command in the ppp-up
script (in /etc/ppp/ I think).

the only thing I have to do is change the 'relayhost'
variable for postfix at work and home (postconf -e
"relayhost=<isp-smtp-server>"). I just have different
commands for starting X at the 2 places, but you could also
do this in the ppp-up script as well.

Hope that helps.

SFK

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 04:09:22PM -0500, John Harrold wrote:
> From: John Harrold <jmh17+ at pitt.edu>
> Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:09:22 -0500
> To: western PA LUG <wplug at wplug.org>
> Subject: [wplug] queuing mail to be sent..
>
> from machines not always connected to the net.
>
> So I was thinking it would be neat to compose mail on a laptop not
> connected to the net. Then, when I connect to the internet, have the
> computer send out the mail. I'm currently using mutt to exim from our
> server. I assume that it just connects to what ever is running on port 25
> and sends it when I'm done composing. I know exim will hold a message for a
> while and try to resend it ever so often. This doesn't seem like the best
> solution to me.  I suppose I'll have to setup some kind of smtp
> authentication on our mail server so I can send from something other than
> localhost. I'm trying to figure out how to queue things up on the laptop.
> Can someone point me to the best way to accomplish this?
>
> --
>                             | /"\
>  john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
>  jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
>  the most useful idiot      | / \
>  What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
>  and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
>  under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
>  liberty and democracy?
>  --Gandhi

Scott F. Kiesling

Assistant Professor
Department of Linguistics
University of Pittsburgh

2816 Cathedral of Learning     Phone: 1-412-624-5916
Pittsburgh, PA 15217 USA       Fax: 1-412-624-6130

kiesling at pitt.edu
http://www.pitt.edu/~kiesling/skpage.html
http://www.linguistics.pitt.edu