[wplug] VMWare

Sean McCune sean at redhandsoftware.com
Mon Feb 28 13:42:20 EST 2005

Keith Wolters wrote:
>>For those who know me and are shocked that I'm using FC3 as my desktop,
>>I'm not.  I'm using FC3 as a platform to run VMWare, and inside VMWare
>>is my FreeBSD desktop.  This makes life grand as it means I also have
>>Windows on this machine, and I don't have to reboot.  Very spiffy.
>

> Really?  Which version of VMWare are you using?  Their support pages claim they don't support Fedora.
>
> Keith

To "not support" usually means they won't help you if it doesn't work or if you experience problems... not necessarily that it won't work.

I run vmware on FC2 and SuSE 9.0 with a custome kernel with no problems.  Generally, as long as you got a kernel at least as new as the kernels in the host OS's that they *do* support you should be fine.  If your kernel is way far ahead of those you might run into some breakage due to some fancy new feature, but not likely.

I have run into performance issues running FC3 as a guest in vmware 4.5.2.  But it runs.  I've never run FC3 as a host, though, only FC2