[wplug] VMWare

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Feb 28 13:38:15 EST 2005

"Keith Wolters" <kowolters at email.com> wrote:

> >For those who know me and are shocked that I'm using FC3 as my desktop,
> >I'm not.  I'm using FC3 as a platform to run VMWare, and inside VMWare
> >is my FreeBSD desktop.  This makes life grand as it means I also have
> >Windows on this machine, and I don't have to reboot.  Very spiffy.
>
> Really?  Which version of VMWare are you using?  Their support pages
> claim they don't support Fedora.

They don't.  But Fedora 3 is a 2.6 kernel and they do support some platforms
that use the 2.6 kernel, so it works.

There are only two problems I've found:
1) VMWare doesn't grok the CD-ROM.  If I want to work with a CD from
   within a virtual machine, I have to generate an .iso, then mount
   the .iso.  PITA.
2) If I reboot Fedora, VMWare complains that it's now broken and I have
   to rerun vmware-config.pl.  Works fine after that, and I have no idea
   why this happens.  Luckily for me, I don't reboot too often.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies