[wplug] Survey questions - Mac hardware/OS X/Linux??

Doug Green diego96 at mac.com
Fri Feb 25 09:42:10 EST 2005

This brings up an interesting point- I wonder what the average cost ratio of
hardware:software is on a typical end user machine. Clearly, this group is
on one side of the spectrum, while non-linux using
biomedical/animation/creative arts people are probably on the other end. I'd
bet that (pure speculation) a standard office machine (running MS Office and
XP) could approach a 1:1 ratio, yet people rarely balk at paying for those
apps. Instead, they opt for a cheaper machine for cost savings... Kinda
weird consumer habits- it's like putting premium gas in a cheap car.