[wplug] Survey questions - Mac hardware/OS X/Linux??

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Feb 24 17:42:05 EST 2005

Jennifer Landefeld <jennsbl at jennsbl.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I was in a nice seminar by a couple local Apple folk. They asked a
> question I can't answer about our group.
>
> I know I've been a Mac hardware user and work primarily in OS X these
> days. At one point I did load (dual boot) Yellow Dog on one of my
> systems.
>
> Now to the questions:
>
> (1) How many folk in our group are Mac hardware & OS X users with a
> partition for Linux?
>
> (2) Do we have any users who bought new/used Mac equipment to load just
> Linux by itself (as opposed to Intel/AMD)? What flavor?

It seems like most WPLUG users who use Mac are using OS X.  The geeky
ones generally use the BSD underpinnings that exist on OS X to do
their unixy stuff, and thus don't seem to have a need for a seperate
partition.

(As a long-time FreeBSD user, I've been very happy with the overall
feel of OS X)

> The Apple folks questions made me curious so I thought I'd ask. (-:
>
> My initial response to them was that I'd venture most of use using
> Linux were looking for the least expensive alternative for computing
> and chose "cheap" hardware and didn't necessarily load purchased
> flavors of Linux (though many of us do buy Redhat, SuSE, etc.)

I can't speak for "most of us".  But as for me, I don't use FreeBSD
because it's "cheap", or even because it's less expensive.  I use
it because it's the best quality OS I know of.  I work similarly with
hardware.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies