[wplug] Using dd and knoppix to clone a drive

Eicher, Scott scott.eicher at sanchez.com
Thu Feb 24 14:14:23 EST 2005

I'd like to clone/backup a SCSI hard drive to an identical SCSI hard
drive. The drive contains HPFS partitions (SCO Open Server). Both drives
are connected through an Adaptec DPT PM2144W SCSI adapter. I have a
knoppix cd that I'm going to use for this. I have some questions about
this process that some of you would most likely be able to answer for
me.

Once I get the system booted with Knoppix what is the best way to use dd
to copy the partitions from the old drive to the new? Should I copy the
partitions one at a time or the whole disk at once?

Will I be able to boot from the cloned hard drive?

Do I need to create identically sized partitions on the 2nd drive before
using dd or will dd do this during the copy?

Thanks for any assistance,
Scott

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential and/or privileged information intended only for the person(s) named.
Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by another person is strictly prohibited.

NOTE: Ce courriel est destine exclusivement au(x) destinataire(s) mentionne(s) ci-dessus et peut contenir de l'information privilegiee, confidentielle et/ou dispensee de divulgation aux termes des lois applicables. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, ou s'il ne vous est pas destine, veuillez le mentionner immediatement a l'expediteur et effacer ce courriel.