[wplug] RE: only for people with time(about linux)

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Thu Feb 24 13:51:00 EST 2005

Sometime in February Steve Bierly assaulted the keyboard and produced:

|     I want to get knoppix so I can begin but I don't
| understand how exactly to download it. I want to use
| it on an old compact of mine that does not burn CDs.
| So can I burn it with mac and if so how?
| One more question where can I get it from(I don't
| understand ftp).
| Thanks,
| Steve

What you want to download is an knoppix iso file. You can probably downlaod
it from a web browser:

http://mirror.csit.fsu.edu/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso

You can get to that by going to knoppix.net, click on the "Get Knoppix"
link and then pick an http mirror.

Now you want to download the iso above onto the machine with the burner. A
mac should do fine. I've never burned a cd on a mac, but there should be an
option on the mac to burn an "image" or and "iso" or something similar.
When it asks for the image, point the program to the iso. Keep in mind that
this is _not_ the same thing as writing the file to a data disk. I've seen
several people do this. Also remember that the knoppix iso is a big iso, so
it will probably require a 700mb blank cdr.

A more appropriate subject for the original email would have been:

'Help getting and burning a Knoppix cd'

The subject: 'only for people with time(about linux)' doesn't really tell
people much about the body of the email.

Be dandy Steve.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key F65A739E