[wplug] More Data Recovery

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Wed Feb 23 16:58:32 EST 2005

I work with some folks who have some data on a floppy disk. In windows it
became unreadable. Evidently the message was something like "would you like
to format this disk?" I got the disk and I'm using dd to with the
conv=noerror option as billings suggested. For those that were wondering
the output looks like this:

dd: reading `/dev/fd0': Input/output error
1248+0 records in
1248+0 records out
638976 bytes transferred in 5959.660693 seconds (107 bytes/sec)
dd: reading `/dev/fd0': Input/output error
1248+0 records in
1248+0 records out
638976 bytes transferred in 5965.258392 seconds (107 bytes/sec)
dd: reading `/dev/fd0': Input/output error
1248+0 records in
1248+0 records out
638976 bytes transferred in 5970.856066 seconds (107 bytes/sec)
dd: reading `/dev/fd0': Input/output error
1256+0 records in
1256+0 records out
643072 bytes transferred in 5976.453734 seconds (108 bytes/sec)

It keeps getting data from the disk, so I'm letting it run. Now I'm not
entirely sure what I can do with the disk image when it's done. I'm going
to try to mount the image as a loopback device, but I suspect it will fail.
I'm not sure, but I'm pretty confident that it's a vfat filesystem. What
options do I have for recovering the data? I believe the owners just want 1
file.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key F65A739E