[wplug] A little BSD/Linux history question

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 22 16:31:30 EST 2005

You might want to check out Bastille Linux  at
http://www.bastille-linux.org/.  They provide hardened binaries that
have been verified by many people.  Also, it's a misnomer to think that
OpenBSD gets its security from looking just at the kernel.  It's lots of
other things, like making sure all other programs are audited and only
installing minimal packages.  It's more of a mindset sorta thing that
they have.  Also, there is some licensing related issues.  One of the
goals of OpenBSD is to have only BSD licensed software.  This is part of
the reason for the creation of OpenCVS.  Apparently they've got a good
roadmap on where to go for everything except replacing GCC.

--Patrick