[wplug] Re: which linux is for me

Doug Green diego96 at mac.com
Tue Feb 22 13:40:50 EST 2005

Speaking from personal newbie experience: I recommend that you choose a
full-featured ("bloated" by most wplug user standards) distro that works out
of the box with your computer, and supplies a nice graphical interface. Why?
Because it's easy to get discouraged due to the information overload that
comes with switching to linux.

That said, I'd recommend something like Mandrake. You can download the
installation CDs for free (supporting the distro financially is always a
nice thing to do, however). Take a while to just get used to the look/feel
and basic functionality of the OS before you dive into particulars. Learn
one thing at at time- and get a good generic book, such as Running Linux
(Oreilly Publishers) and stick to that source initially.There's no lack of
stuff to learn, so relax and enjoy the process (it will be long).

One thing you should be aware of: the "linux culture" is fond of the term
"RTFM" and will often advise you to read a particular "manual page". In
other words, be prepared to read a lot on your own before you post
questions. Nothing is more humiliating that an answer that starts with "A
google search turned up the following:..." :)

Just my 2 cents.