[wplug] RE:one more question for today

Burt E Reany breany at csc.com
Tue Feb 22 10:55:06 EST 2005

Steve;

  Military basic training teaches people many ways to be extremely rude to
an adversary, and
is done for people who are (hopefully) on OUR side. Your experimentation,
should you
chose to NOT let it get "out of hand", is a good background for a network
security career -
just be sure to avoid the Dark Side, - even tangentially. CERT needs white
hats.
(Several of my compadre's interests were piqued by this topic, and it got
them into jobs where
they are actually getting paid to do what they would be doing for fun).
  As always,  we are each responsible for what we do with what we know, and
what we do with
it. We need good people to cover our backs.

Bon Chance.

Steve Bierly <s_bierly at yahoo.com> wrote:

>     I am a teen and was told by my cousin to start
> programming now and gave me a few sites he wants me to
> try and hack into they are all his so I can't get in
> any trouble. He said to use linux red hat and set up a
> tower to be web server. And one to be a firewall. Then
> get a laptop with redhat on it and try hacking into my
> web page. i am learning shell and pearl but not really
> positive what to do. He said that I need to learn
> networking and to write and break firewalls anything
> else you can think of or anything wrong with this plan
> can you give me help.

I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish.

If you want to go to prison, definately, start getting
experience breaking through firewalls.

If you want to get a job in the computer field when you
get out of school (and/or get a scholorships to a good
computer college) then breaking firewalls isn't a good
way to do that.  I've never seen a job requirement that
asks for people who are good a breaking security, and
claiming that you are will make employers nervious.

for such purpose.