[wplug] Re: which linux is for me

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Feb 22 10:06:15 EST 2005

Steve Bierly wrote:
> I have a few questions anyone who has answers please
> get back to me. What linux should I get if I am going
> to be a programmer.
> I am leaning towards red hat. But I am not sure and I
> read that linux does not support all computer
> hardware. Could I use a brand new computer or should I
> dig out a stone age computer? Would it work on a
> laptop? Truth be told I am just starting and hearing
> many opinions so experienced users please help. If you
> could give me a link that would have system
> requirements.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Steve

Pretty much any linux distribution is sufficient for a programmer, as
long as it has gcc and a text editor you're set.

Redhat has a certified hardware catalog:
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/hwcert/

However, this is mostly for support of server-class hardware, running
redhat's Enterprise Linux OS.  This isn't something I'd suggest for a
beginner.  For individual users, it's probably better to use the distro
from the Fedora Project, a Redhat-sponsored, community supported linux
distro.  (http://fedora.redhat.com/)  There isn't a specific "Certified
hardware" list for it.  For the most part, knowing whether something
will work with linux requires digging around in the specifications and
checking for support in the kernel and X, something that is not really
user friendly.  A good rule of thumb is that typically, something that
is 1 or 2 years old should be supported in linux as long as it's from a
popular vendor, such as Dell or HP.

If you want a laptop, there is a great page for looking up support:
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

Of course, another great resource is this list.  If you have hardware,
just ask, someone probably has experienced it or something like it.

--
Jonathan S. Billings <billings at negate.org>