[wplug] A little BSD/Linux history question

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Mon Feb 21 19:40:42 EST 2005

I view it more of a 'keeping my sanity' and trust issue.  A server install of the BSDs comes with minimal cruft, the 4.x releases can be installed on as little as 250MB of disk space (100MB if you want to push it).  It's much harder to pare down many Linux distributions and keep the same level of functionality.  Along the lines of easy upgrades, each release is supported for much longer than say, Fedora, and when support is dropped there is a clear upgrade path.  This is also possible with some Linux distributions but I don't recall any being as easy (remember: sanity) or cheap.  Sure, you can buy RHEL and do a minimal install with a 3-5 year life cycle but it won't be free, or if you go with a RHEL clone can you really trust they'll still be around in 3-5 years?  Despite the *BSD is dead cry I'm pretty sure FreeBSD will still be around.  I really wouldn't know which performs better or is more stable, I've had good luck with both FreeBSD and Linux with uptimes well over a year.