[wplug] ask for help

Michael Smith michael at smith-li.com
Mon Feb 21 17:26:17 EST 2005

On Feb 21, 2005, at 4:36 PM, Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:

> On Monday 21 February 2005 22:17, Steve Bierly wrote:
>> I was hoping someone could help me learn how to set up
>> a web site and a firewall. I am reading a few books
>> and would like more help.

<snip>
> + To build a web site you need a web server.
<snip>

Steve, I can help you with web design stuff, but it's not really linux
specific, so it doesn't really need to go on the list. Feel free to
contact me with (reasonably well googled) questions about web design if
you get stuck.

Some server-side stuff to think about that is tenuously linux-related:
	- Pure XHTML/CSS vs programming language (such as php) vs CMS (such as
Plone)
	- Whether or not you want a database backend

If you're really just interested in learning how to set up a web
server, then you should probably go with the LAMP configuration: Linux
Apache MySQL and PHP/perl/python.

<wplug_unrelated>
If you've never really built a website before, you should probably put
in a little time doing pure XHTML/CSS before you try to use a
programming language or CMS. If you want more reading material, I have
a list of links on my (somewhat embarrassing for a professional web
designer) website http://www.smith-li.com/links.html
</wplug_unrelated>

Peace,
Mike