[wplug] Wi-Fi Mapping in the Press [rant included]

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Mon Feb 21 12:29:38 EST 2005

> I think that you might be confused about the complex definition of
> "Free" in terms of open source.  In simple terms, making copies of bits
> of information has so little overhead that it can be considered zero
> cost, so giving people that information at no cost is fine.  However,
> the media used to give the information is not free.  It is a real,
> physical structure that costs money to maintain and support.  In the
> example mentioned, it costs money to pay for the networking equipment,
> the ISP account and people to maintain the system.  If you believe that
> spending that money will increase revenue overall, then it makes sense.
>   If it won't, then it doesn't make sense to give it out for free, or to
> even offer it at all.

    Again, leeches asside, we are careening towards the concept of
"ubiquitous computing", when our Internet truly is available everywhere,
wirelessly, and for free. Whether or not it costs this much for a T1 or a
DSL line is not the point -- it will be here anyway, in the face of cost,
administrative and technical challenges.

    We can band together, and fight this, ensuring that only we can control
the Internet, but it's a losing battle -- besides, there's too much to gain
from pervasive computing -- for everyone.

    The simple-mindedness of DSL that Verizon has instilled within us needs
to go. We have outgrown our unshielded and untwisted copper pairs long, long
ago.