[wplug] Some scripting help (smoothwall)

Mike techmike at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 10:39:03 EST 2005

 I've never really scripted anything before so I'm going to need all
   the help I can get.  I run a smoothwall box for my internet firewall.
   Well lately my ISP's PPPOe server has been on the fritz requiring me
   to either reboot or renew my IP every so often to keep working.
   So I'm thinking, how about a script that I can put in cron to run
   every 5 mintues or so..
   1.  ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
   a.  if response okay, do nothing.
   b.  if response fails run:
   /etc/rc.d/rc.netaddress.down; /etc/rc.d/rc.netaddress.up;
   /usr/local/bin/restartsquid
   and add log entry to some netrestart.log
   Should be simple enough right, but where to begin..  :)
   Thanks
   Mike