[wplug] dd

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Feb 17 12:45:53 EST 2005

Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> I am thinking, I could do something like
>  'dump -0f - /dev/hdbN | restore -rf - /dev/hdcN'

the restore program doesn't take a device to restore to as an argument.
  It uses the device it's reading from (STDIN in this example) and
outputs the filesystem data to the current filesystem it's working in.
So, if you cd to /mnt/newdisk, and run, "dump -0f - /dev/hdbN | restore
-rf -" the system will be generating the contents of the filesystem on
/dev/hdbN into /mnt/newdisk.  So if /dev/hdbN is a filesystem that
contains "/etc/passwd" then the aforementioned command would create a
file called /mnt/newdisk/etc/passwd.

--
Jonathan S. Billings <billings at negate.org>