[wplug] Fedora core3 and k3b

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.cmu.edu
Thu Feb 17 12:41:52 EST 2005

On Thursday 17 February 2005 19:23, Ed Stewart wrote:
> Dileep Vangasseri wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I was trying to burn some iso images to a CD using k3b
> >in Fedora core 3. Then I realized that, I can not burn
> >an iso image as a user (When I go to tools > CD, there
> >is no option for selecting "burn iso image"). However
> >I do get this option when I run k3b as root. I could
> >not get any answer by googling. Can anyone suggest why
> >is it like this? I tried updating my k3b  from
> >k3b.org, but yum gave me an error message that public
> >key is not avialable. When I do a system check in k3b
> >as a user, it gives me two error messages: one is
> >cdrao is required for k3b and is not installed and
> >second is run k3bsetup. I read at Fedora site that
> >core3 do not require k3bsetup, but no references were
> >there for cdrao. Can any one tell me why am I not able
> >to write the iso image as a user?
<snip>
> Hi, I am having the same problem using k3b under fedora core 2. I
> also have done a lot of googling but to no good. I hope someone
> answers this.
<snip>

This could be a permissions problem. When you first run k3b as the user,
it asks you to change some permissions to make utilities like cdrdao,
cdrecord etc usable by mortals. Such utilities are by default only
usable by root.

So, use k3bsetup to setup permissions properly and you should be okay.

-A