[wplug] Can't compile tcl/tk extension

Scott F. Kiesling kiesling at pitt.edu
Wed Feb 16 20:59:33 EST 2005

On a Gentoo Distro, kernel 2.6.9, IBM T42 laptop:

I am trying to download and compile a program called
Transcriber
(http://www.etca.fr/CTA/gip/Projets/Transcriber/),
for use with linguistic research. It requires the tcl/tk
extension tcLex
(http://membres.lycos.fr/fbonnet/Tcl/tcLex/index.en.htm)
(in addition to Snack and Tcl/Tk). Neither Transcriber nor
tcLex have an ebuild, so I am trying to compile from source. I
get this error when trying to compile tcLex (after
configuring without errors as specified in the README):

miles2 src # make
gcc -pipe  -fPIC -I/usr/lib/tcl8.4/include/generic
-I/usr/include -DTCLEX_VERSION=\"1.2\"   -c -o tcLex.o
tcLex.c
tcLex.c: In function `LexerCurrentObjCmd':
tcLex.c:1148: error: structure has no member named `deleted'
tcLex.c: In function `LexerCreateObjCmd':
tcLex.c:1274: warning: passing arg 3 of
`Tcl_GetIndexFromObj' from incompatible pointer type

tcLex.c:1274: warning: passing arg 6 of
`Tcl_GetIndexFromObj' from incompatible pointer type
tcLex.c: In function `LexerMainObjCmd':
tcLex.c:1472: warning: passing arg 3 of
`Tcl_GetIndexFromObj' from incompatible pointer type
tcLex.c:1472: warning: passing arg 6 of
`Tcl_GetIndexFromObj' from incompatible pointer type
tcLex.c: In function `LexerConditionsObjCmd':
tcLex.c:2565: warning: passing arg 3 of
`Tcl_GetIndexFromObj' from incompatible pointer type
tcLex.c:2565: warning: passing arg 6 of
`Tcl_GetIndexFromObj' from incompatible pointer type
tcLex.c: In function `LexerObjCmd':
tcLex.c:2938: warning: passing arg 3 of
`Tcl_GetIndexFromObj' from incompatible pointer type
tcLex.c:2938: warning: passing arg 6 of
`Tcl_GetIndexFromObj' from incompatible pointer type
make: *** [tcLex.o] Error 1

The Transcriber page says:
"NB - You need to have the complete sources of Tcl for
building this extension, since it relies on specific header
files not installed by standard Tcl installation."

So I'm thinking that the problem is that my Tcl/Tk is not
sufficiently 'complete,' but I'm a user-type and am not
sure. And I'm not sure how I would complete them. So any
help figuring out the problem would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, the tcl version I have is 8.4.6, tk is 8.4.6-r1.

Thanks in advance
SFK

--
Scott F. Kiesling

Assistant Professor
Department of Linguistics
University of Pittsburgh

2816 Cathedral of Learning     Phone: 1-412-624-5916
Pittsburgh, PA 15217 USA       Fax: 1-412-624-6130

kiesling at pitt.edu
http://www.pitt.edu/~kiesling/skpage.html
http://www.linguistics.pitt.edu