[wplug] dd

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Tue Feb 15 08:44:08 EST 2005

Just be certain that the new disk has at least as much storage as the
old disk.  I wouldn't necessarily trust Seagate that an 80 gig disk is
always the same size unless it's the exact same model (even then I would
check).  dd does a byte-for-byte copy and if the new disk is even a
little bit smaller you might end up with a truncated filesystem (if the
old disk has partitions that extend to the end of the disk).

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer III
CCAC - College Office
412-237-3086