[wplug] dd

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Tue Feb 15 08:36:19 EST 2005

>   - boot into single-user mode with both drives installed
>   - not mount the drives in question
>   - not format or label the new, replacement drive
>   - run 'dd id=/dev/hdb od=/dev/hdc -possibly -other -arguments'
>   - switch the drives and reboot into happiness.
>
>   (1) Does this seem like a proper and successful use of 'dd'?  And (2) is
> the answer to that question OS-dependent (neglecting the device names and
> arguments), or only POSIX dependent?

    Sounds like fun, actually, and I have done this before. Watch the
console messages for errors. Shouldn't need additional msgs, 'cept for the
ignore-errors flag.

    Also, if the disks are different geometries, there might be some issues
with partitioning and stuff. You'll wanna fsck the new disk twice before you
start using it to be sure.