[wplug] dd

Duncan Hutty dhutty at ece.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 15 08:22:22 EST 2005

On 02/15/2005 12:38 AM, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
>  - boot into single-user mode with both drives installed
great, boot from a liveCD if the dodgy drive is required for booting.
>  - not mount the drives in question
a liveCD will probably not mount an 'unnecessary' by default; otherwise
unmount.
>  - not format or label the new, replacement drive
>  - run 'dd id=/dev/hdb od=/dev/hdc -possibly -other -arguments'
assuming this is linux you probably mean/want 'dd if=/dev/hdb of=/dev/hdc'
>  - switch the drives and reboot into happiness.
try it and see what happens, you have nothing to lose (except a little
downtime while you do it). It looks good to me.

>  (1) Does this seem like a proper and successful use of 'dd'?
yes
   And (2)
> is the answer to that question OS-dependent (neglecting the device names
> and arguments), or only POSIX dependent?

should work on most if not all *nixen unless I've missed something.
--
Duncan Hutty
System Administrator