[wplug] PCI-Express

Duncan Hutty duncanhutty at comcast.net
Sat Feb 12 15:35:39 EST 2005

Mike wrote:
 >What's the general consensus on PCI Express and Linux? I got a good
deal on a Dell PowerEdge server, which, in fact, I intend to use as a
desktop. When I bought it, though, I didn't realize that it has PCX
instead of AGP.

 >Is PCX support good for Linux (Gentoo in my case)? Which card should I
get for this box (less than $200, please)? Any warnings or anecdotes
about PCX on Linux would be appreciated.

It is easy to confuse the terminology here since the PCI SIG haven't
made terms for the different technologies easily distinguishable.
PCI, PCI-X and PCI-Express are all different. I suspect that you're
referring to PCI-Express.

In general, the nvidia drivers are considered to have better 3D
performance and stability on linux than ATI. However determining where
the advantage lies based on your intended usage will require some
significant research. You need to consider first what your intended
usage is. A good starting point would be the multimedia, kernel/hardware
and gaming gentoo forums. I would suggest that unless you're planning on
very recent games, or other high resource requirement purposes and
you're very concerned about performance, *any* PCI-express card will be
fine.

Duncan Hutty

Please also remember that many people use threaded mail clients so
replying to a message and completely changing the topic is not helpful.
If you want to start a new topic, start a new thread by composing a
message to wplug at wplug.org not just replying to an existing message.