[wplug] Enlighten me!

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Wed Feb 9 18:13:00 EST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Carl Benedict wrote:

> About the same time you wrote this original thread, I had tried
> Enlightenment as well.  I'm using Fedora Core 2 with GNOME 2.6.  I
> installed via RPM from 3rd-party packages I found on rpmfind.net.
>
> I didn't have any problems with showing Enlightenment in the GDM menu of
> session choices, but I did have this problem with IceWM.  My E installed
> a .desktop file into /etc/X11/dm/Sessions:

Somehow, gnome 2.6 on FC2 is completely (partially?) different from gnome
2.6 on Debian 3.  I don't have an /etc/X11/dm directory.  I do have
/etc/X11/gdm directory, but it's just a symlink to /etc/gdm, and
its Sessions subdirectory is empty.

Also, I installed enlightenment with apt ('apt-get install enlightenment')
but it did NOT add itself to the GDM list of Desktop Environments.
(Again: I thought enlightenment was a window manager and not a DE??)  Last
week I installed Xfce and it added itself to GDM's menu without problems.

My list of startup sessions includes: Default, Gnome, KDE, Xfce Session,
Failsafe Gnome, Failsafe terminal.  I still haven't figured out where that
list is generated from... 'grep -iR xfce /etc/gdm/*' comes up empty.

> [cbenedic at nano cbenedic]$ which starte16
> /usr/bin/starte16

I have no starte16 script.

I suppose it's worth mentioning that my original intent was to run Gnome
with the simple substitution of the Enlightenment window manager for
metacity, and not to run Enlightenment alone.  If this is ill-advised,
please let me know.  Really, what I would like to learn is how to
substitute one window manager for another in gnome.

Thanks,
Brandon