[wplug] Data Recovery

Chris Ott cott at acclamation.com
Fri Feb 4 13:59:16 EST 2005

Teodorski, Christopher wrote:
> Finally,
>
> System recovery with Knoppix
> What to do when good disks go bad
>
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-knopx.html

I'm not sure how valuable this is. The line:

	dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

assumes the drive is completely functional. As soon as "dd" hits the
first bad block, it will quit with an "I/O error". I think:

	cp -r /mnt/hda5/home/carla /mnt/hdb1/home/carla/backup

will do the same, but I'm not 100% sure, because I don't use it that often.

That's why I had to write my program in the first place. It's basically
a "dd" (more like a "cat") that ignores bad blocks. There isn't anything
  on Linux (or Unix) that I know of, which will do that.

If anyone knows of something I'm missing, please let us all know.

Chris