[wplug] Data Recovery

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Feb 4 13:50:46 EST 2005

beer wrote:
> I had a disk meltdown, anyone know of any data recovery suites that
> run  under *nix? I've found plenty that handle ext2 and ext3
 > filesystems but they are win32 executables.

I've found that it's possible to get quite a bit of data by getting a
new hard drive, and using 'dd' to make a bit-for-bit copy of the old
partitions to files on the new drive.  Then  you can run fsck and other
data recover tools on the files, so you don't have to worry about
causing any further damage to the original disk.

--
Jonathan S. Billings <billings at negate.org>