[wplug] howto remotely administer M$ machines from Debian GNU/Linux

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Feb 4 10:51:25 EST 2005

Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:
> Generally VNC seems quite simple and is *very* easy to install and use.
> If you think the mentioned process is not that simple, you should try
> setting up M$ Terminal Services and then get back to me.

I think that setting up Terminal Services is quite a bit easier than
setting up VNC, particularly if you want to ensure that your traffic is
secure.  After the VNC server is set up, you'll also need to configure
some sort of secure tunnel to connect to the windows server, such as SSH
or an SSL tunnel.

Also, the 'rdesktop' client on unix/linux supports exporting local
filesystems to the windows host, redirection of sound, serial ports and
parallel ports, and automatic execution of processes on the windows host.

While I am not a huge fan of windows, I think that with the 'rdesktop'
client, it is quite usable.

--
Jonathan S. Billings <billings at negate.org>