[wplug] rdesktop slowing down xfree86

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Feb 4 10:05:10 EST 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:05:46 +0200
Alexandros Papadopoulos <apapadop at alumni.cmu.edu> wrote:
> On Thursday 03 February 2005 22:01, John Harrold wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I've got a guy here using rdesktop to muck around in excel.
> > Periodically (every couple 2-5 minutes) xfree starts sucking up
> > resources and slows everything down. The system load gets upto 2-3
> > and things like KDEs kpanel becomes unresponsive for 30 seconds to a
> > minute. The problem persists on two different computers with very
> > different hardware configurations. Both of the machines are running
> > Debian/Sarge with the latest and greatest updates applied. Has anyone
> > had any similar problems or expirences with or without solutions they
> > would care to share?

I missed this post on the first go-round.

I use rdesktop fairly frequently.  Never had any trouble with it.  On
occasion, I've left rdesktop sessions open for 3 or 4 days on end without
problem.

However, I'm using FreeBSD and I don't use KDE (either Gnome or xfce).
So, the only thing that seems to indicate is that the problem probably
isn't with rdesktop.  Can you temporarily switch to another WM and
see if the problem goes away?

> Unfortunately I have no experience with rdesktop, but I'm quite a heavy
> user of VNC to work from Debian to Win9x machines and it's been
> completely trouble-free (keyboard layouts issues aside - but I guess
> these don't concern your user).

VNC is an excellent tool.  Remember, however, that VNC data is not
encrypted over the wire, so if you're connecting over an unsecure
network, everything you type is being announced to the world.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies